ERC (ENHANCED RESPONSE CAPACITY) PROJECT
Sustainable livelihoods contribute to increase the resilience of people and communities reducing their vulnerability to disasters, crisis and food insecurity, helping to ensure access to health services and education, while promoting personal dignity and empowerment. Livelihoods support interventions empower communities to recover from humanitarian crises and contribute to prepare them to overcome shocks with their own means, reducing dependency on humanitarian assistance and increasing their resilience.
Despite significant progress made by a number of humanitarian actors in these last years, there is still a need to further incorporate the Sustainable Livelihoods Framework (SLF) in the response to ensure that emergency assistance builds on and protects people’s strategies for survival and well-being.
Seeking to enhance the capacities of humanitarian organizations to integrate in humanitarian responses livelihoods support, and cash based programming if fitted, the IFRC Livelihoods Resource Centre in partnership with CaLP, Oxfam and the French Red Cross have developed a number of practical and evidence-based resources with the support of the European Commission’s Humanitarian Aid department (ECHO).
These are the resources available in English, French and Spanish:
Objective: To provide a basic understanding of livelihoods support and the importance of its inclusion since the early stages of the response to increase the overall impact of the actions and contribute to sustainable recovery and resilient communities.
- 8-minute video on Livelihoods support interventions
- On-line self-learning session at the IFRC eLearning Platform
- In-person session adapted to the audience delivered by the LRC:
Knowledge, skills and tools for Livelihoods and Cash Transfer programming
Objective: To strengthen the capacities of humanitarian practitioners and organizations for effective livelihoods support and its integration in the different phases of the humanitarian response.
- Emergency Response Livelihoods Assessment (ERLA) training, on-line and in-person formats
- Livelihoods Indicators
- Livelihoods Toolbox
- Cash in Emergencies (CiE) Toolkit developed by the IFRC
- Urban Cash Transfer Programming and Livelihoods e-learning course
- Organizational Capacity Assessment Tool (OCAT)
- Infographic posters with resources for Cash, Markets and Livelihoods programming
- Cost Benefit Analysis (CBA) model and three Cost Benefit Analysis case studies
Capacity Building of Organizations for Livelihoods and Cash Transfer Programming
Objective: To enhance the preparedness capacities of organizations for Livelihoods and Cash based programming and extract lessons learned from various capacity building experiences in different world regions.
- GUIDANCE FOR LIVELIHOODS PREPAREDNESS AND OPERATIONAL READINESS "Enhancing Livelihoods Response Capacity."
- Three case studies of organizations capacity building in Peru, Nicaragua and Vietnam.